The Raven Book Pages Halloween Wreath

Following up on my recent post about Halloween Crafts, here is the big item I made. I was inspired by this Halloween Edgar Allen Poe Wreath.

Here’s what I ended up with!
raven-wreath1a

To make it, I used the general directions on the link above. I started with a foam wreath form I got at Michael’s. And I picked up a trade paperback of Twilight at GoodWill for $1.34. (Hey, it had to be a book I didn’t mind destroying!!) Layers upon layers of pages both front and back of the wreath. Then I also tore strips to fill in around the inside “ring” of the wreath to hide the white foam in the center.

raven-wreath1b

I then curled up pages and tied them with string and glued them on to the top. I filled in with more pages as I felt I needed. I did a little bit of watered down brown “aging” to the edges of some pages and tinting some of the pages as well just to give it some depth.

Then I added a little bit of craft moss and finished it with a raven figure I also picked up a Micheal’s. The feet were wired together, so I cut it and straightened the wire and pushed it firmly into the foam frame. That was enough to hold it solidly in place.

raven-wreath1c

To hang it, I finished with a decorative ribbon .

raven-wreath1d

It took probably about 300 pages of the book. Keep in mind, these are larger-than-regular paperback pages too, so plan on using up pretty much ALL of a book in making this. It took me about two weeks total work time. I would do it in stages since it was very time consuming and there’s only so long you can work with hot glue at a time without burning yourself and calling it a day! LOL

I found it best to prepare the pages in batches because it always took way more than I thought it would and when the hot glue was flowing, I didn’t have time to stop and fold pages after each glued in piece.

I was so pleased with how it came out!

Yarn and Felt Flower Halloween Wreath

I thought I’d show off the yarn and felt flower Halloween Wreath I made as part of the Mini 13 Days of Halloween swap for my partner, michelleandbean.

halloween-wreath1a

I started with a foam wreath from the floral department of Joann’s. Then I bought some black/orange colored chunky yarn and spent the next hour wrapping it. LOL After that, I went online and googled how to make some felt flowers. (I used this technique in making them. Simple in steps, but time consuming and man my fingers got tired cutting all those strips out of the felt! :D) Made up a bunch in suitable Halloween colors (orange, black, yellow for harvest, purple and white) and glued them on in a cluster on the wreath.

Next, I added some metal bead caps and swarovski crystals to some of the flowers to give them a little extra sparkle. To finish it off, I hot glued some small little pumpkins in with the flowers and added a sparkly ribbon to hang it.

halloween-wreath1b

This was a lot of fun because it’s not something I’ve ever done before. I learned as I went and I was so excited it came out so awesome! ;D